A Destination for IVF
The massive spread of the novel coronavirus has changed the dynamics of everything familiar to us and we are left with no option but to improvise however and wherever we can.
Prior to the pandemic, couples and individuals routinely traveled from across the globe in huge numbers to the US in the hopes of getting state-of-the-art fertility treatment. The US with its top-notch healthcare system and unparalleled end-to-end patient care facilities has been a go-to destination for millions of patients seeking fertility treatments from all corners of the world.
Boasting decades of pioneering research in the field, the US has come a long way since 1934 when Pincus and Enzmann reported the first successful mammal birth (in rabbits) via in-vitro fertilization in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA.
Being a paragon in the field of assisted reproductive technology, the US has also been consistently transparent in its disclosure of IVF success rates and the wide range of alternative options available. California, in particular, has been leading the fertility revolution for quite some time now with some of the busiest and most distinguished medical clinics catering to individuals seeking fertility services. Being the tech mecca of the world, California’s IVF labs and fertility specialists are eons ahead of other regions in terms of medical technique and expertise.
IVF in the “New Normal”
However, amidst a heightened sense of uncertainty led by the Coronavirus outbreak, people are finding it extremely hard to adjust to the “new normal”. With border restrictions limiting international travel, there are millions of people out there thinking they might have to pause their IVF cycle abroad, or postpone their cryopreservation plans for that matter.
For anyone who’s even remotely familiar to the nuances of fertility treatments, it’s no surprise that planning a baby through assisted reproductive technology is mostly not in your control. In fact it’s oodles of science, love, experimentation, and superior medical prowess all working together, to bring the gift of life to a couple/individual.
With so many variables already at play, especially with fertility treatments abroad, it’s understandable that COVID-19 might have put a damper on your IVF plans. However, the good news is that as restrictions gradually ease down world-over, and as people learn to navigate this new reality, most fertility clinics in the US have re-opened following strict safety SOP’s and guidelines.
How to Prepare for a Safe Journey:
If your travel plans to the US for fertility treatment have been affected by the coronavirus outbreak, read through the following tips to ensure a safe journey to the IVF destination of your choice:
- Utilize this time for due diligence and make sure you research all available options. Talk to health experts in the field including reproductive endocrinologists, embryologists and other fertility specialists to help you make the best possible decision in terms of procedure and clinic selection.
- Fertility treatments normally require a range of preliminary testing. Inquire about tests required by your Ob/Gyn and see if any of those can be done beforehand.
Network and Communicate:
- The internet is a treasure trove of fertility coaches and bloggers with hyper-active communities, sharing parenthood wisdom and authentic patient experiences. Take this time to reach out and participate in these dialogues to come up with the best possible options for your treatment.
Contact your airline:
- If you are scheduled to fly for your treatment, get in touch with your airline company well in advance of your departure date to inquire about their seating policy in light of current social distancing measures. Many airlines are trying to follow an empty middle-seat policy however, it’s important to check beforehand to ensure a safe and stress-free journey.
- Once you’ve made your mind up, take all the necessary precautions during your travel such as, social distancing (keeping at least 6 feet distance from everyone around you), wearing a face covering, sanitizing surfaces you’ll be frequently coming in contact with during your flight and avoiding touching your face.
Relax and have faith:
- Lastly, it’s important to remember, that owing to the novelty of COVID-19 a lot of the news surrounding the virus is hearsay and not backed by research. For instance, there’s no factual evidence behind the assumption that pregnant women are more likely to contract the disease, or that they are at a higher risk for illness.
It’s important to do ample research and thorough fact-checking instead of falling prey to false assumptions. However, once you are prepared and convinced, you can rest assured that medical facilities that have re-opened are going to great lengths to take precautionary measures for safeguarding the well-being of their patients.
About the Author: Patriot Conceptions
Patriot Conceptions is a veteran-owned surrogacy agency dedicated to exuding honor, integrity, and selfless service. We are committed to providing exceptional care to all surrogates and families.
Patriot Conceptions assists people from around the world with their journey to becoming parents through surrogacy. We provide unsurpassed, comprehensive, and unique surrogacy and consultant programs. Patriot Conceptions differs from other agencies because we emphasize customizing experiences by tailoring our services to the individual needs of our clients and surrogate mothers. Surrogacy is a wonderful option to choose when creating a family. With Patriot Conceptions behind you, we guarantee that your journey to parenthood will be extraordinary.
For details about our mission and services visit: https://www.patriotconceptions.com/