Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) involves injecting a single sperm directly into an egg as part of in vitro fertilization, increasing your chances for conception. ICSI is most frequently recommended for couples dealing with male factor infertility, such as abnormally shaped sperm, low sperm count, or low sperm motility. Pacific Fertility Center in Los Angeles, CA, can provide advanced diagnostics to determine if this treatment is right for you.
Our expert team can help you develop an appropriate treatment plan and complete all necessary steps to increase your chances of conception.
Who Should Consider Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection?
You can discuss your options with our experienced doctors to determine if you meet all the criteria for ICSI. Generally, good candidates for this treatment:
- Are unsuccessful with traditional IVF
- Have experienced a failed intrauterine insemination
- Are diagnosed with sperm abnormalities
- Experience a blockage keeping sperm from flowing properly
- Experience sperm having trouble attaching to the egg
- Have chosen sperm donation or egg donation for fertilization
ICSI can allow couples to overcome many of the barriers to fertilization and successfully achieve pregnancy. Pacific Fertility Center Los Angeles
How Is Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection Performed?
Through ICSI, doctors can inject a single sperm cell directly into an egg. Thanks to this breakthrough in fertility technology, males who suffer from teratospermia can have a higher chance of fatherhood. This procedure, performed along with IVF, can help increase your chances for a successful conception. The procedure involves five simple steps.
- Ovulation Stimulation: To increase the benefits of a successful IVF and ICSI procedure, the woman is prescribed fertility medication to stimulate ovulation in order to retrieve multiple eggs.
- Egg Retrieval: Once the eggs are ready, they are carefully removed from the ovaries via a minor surgical procedure.
- Sperm Retrieval: Sperm is retrieved through normal donation for men with low sperm count and motility. For more severe infertility cases, extraction can take place with a minor surgical procedure, such as testicular sperm extraction (TESE).
- Fertilization and Observation: Once the egg and sperm have been successfully retrieved, a small hollow needle is used to inject a single sperm into an egg. The fertilized egg is then monitored for healthy growth and development, typically confirmed within three to six days.
- Embryo Transfer: If normal growth is confirmed, one or two of the embryos are implanted into the woman’s uterus with a small catheter through one of a variety of procedures, including natural IVF or mini IVF.
For men who have an abnormally low sperm count or sperm motility issues, this procedure can enable conception that would otherwise be impossible. Pacific Fertility Center Los Angeles
Benefits of Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
ICSI can allow couples that may not otherwise be able to conceive overcome many of the barriers to fertilization and successfully become pregnant. This procedure can help couples where the female's eggs are difficult for sperm to penetrate. For men who have abnormally low sperm count or sperm motility issues, this procedure can also enable conception that would otherwise be impossible.
Contact Us Today
If you have been unsuccessful in conceiving through other methods of insemination, contact our office online today or call one of our offices. During your consultation, our doctors can determine if ICSI is right for you.